Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Demons Are A Ghoul's Best Friend

Remember the boogeyman under the bed? The monster in the closet? I remember going to bed with a scarf wrapped around my neck to protect me from vampires, but childhood fears didn't keep from watching old reruns of my favorite gothic soap opera, Dark Shadows. A sexy werewolf named Quentin Collins and a lonely, misunderstood vampire named Barnabas? I'm there! I'm still afraid of the dark, but I'll eagerly curl up to listen if Brad Pitt wants to tells me his woes as the courtly vampire Louis, in Anne Rice's 'Interview with a Vampire'. Antonio Banderas is in that movie, too - he made an absolutely delicious vampire Armand.

What's the attraction? How do I reconcile being such a scairdy cat with being so attracted to bad boys with a dark side? (Only in theory, of course - my husband, Capt. America, has supernatural powers, too, but he uses them only for good.) ;p It isn't just vampires... it's the idea of the ultimate, misunderstood bad boy. The bad boy with the good side who wants to be good, but is trapped, governed by fate or fortune or forces beyond his control. Poor, misunderstood bad boy. LOL Did anyone see Edward Scissorhands ?

Anyway, I'm lucky these days... I can take my childhood fears and turn the boogeyman under the bed into a sexy spirit who absolutely loves blonde women who write books for a living. I can take that monster in the closet and turn him into a good-looking ghost who craves the arms of a mortal woman (hey, sometimes those bumps in the night can be a good thing). :)

The manuscript I'm working on right now, WHERE THE GHOULS ARE, has a male character who's such a bad boy that he's distracting me from the main story. Oh, that Sammy Divine... he's got a story to tell, that one. And he's determined to tell it his own way, in his own time, with a wicked wink, a killer grin and a bad boy swagger.

The point is, I like sexy hunks with a dark side as long as they stay under the bed until I call them, and then let me call the shots. How about you?

5 comments:

Michele said...

Oh, that Louis and Armand! Sigh. Can't wait to read your story, Terri.

Michele

Terri Garey said...

Yes, and even though Tom Cruise makes me puke right now, he did a much better job than I expected with Lestat. :)

Thanks, Michele!

Michele said...

I know. I try to forget that Tom Cruise is in that movie, even though I liked Lestat, too.

Anonymous said...

Sexy hunks with a dark side under my bed? LOL. I guess that's one place for them. I think I'd rather like having them around, but they'd have to reform eventually unless they just stayed under the bed all the time. ;-)

Anna Sugden said...

Ooh, Sammy (drool). But then you had me when you described him as looking like Billy Idol (g) (oops, showing my age and mis-spent youth there). Course I remember Dark Shadows too.

Those sexy bad boys appeal to the bad girl in all of us. Vinny Jones in 'Lock Stock etc etc'. Yum.