Thursday, December 07, 2006

Talk To The Hand

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

"Then don't do that."

That's kind of how the conversation went yesterday when I went to see a doctor about some problems I've been having with my right hand. Pain, numbness, swelling, tingling (gee, those last two symptoms sound sorta fun!), all getting worse, particularly when I type. His immediate recommendation?

Don't type.

Gee, Doc, no can do. I'm a writer, you see. Writers write. Writers type. Writers use their computers to do research, to put words on paper, to play adventure games... (um, forget that last part).

To make a long story short (because it hurts to type it), it appears I've fallen victim to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Not only am I now wearing one of those stupid wrist splints, I have to go to a neurologist tomorrow for a 'nerve study'.

(Yes, Doctor, I have nerves - and you're getting on them.)

Nah, he's a nice guy. Not his fault. I'm hoping there will be a simple fix (can you say 'cortisone shot'?), and no need for surgery. In the meantime, he's given me pain meds to take if it gets really bad (can you say Vicodin?), and is sending me to his best 'hand guy'.

I really had to bite my lip on that one. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you look color-coordinated wearing your wrist support(s)...the tan one for tan/cream/brown fashions, and the black one for black/red/(naughty?) fashions.

Janice Lynn said...

You got color coordinated wrist supports???? Ohhhh, my patients are going to be so jealous.

Hope your wrist is better soon, because as an avid fan of your writing I plan on you doing lots of typing.

No comment on the best hand guy. ;)

Terri Garey said...

Thanks, Janice. Captain America keeps trying to get me to buy two black wrist supports and a matching black teddy. LOL Yes, he's a naughty boy.