Friday, February 16, 2007

An Eternal Embrace

I find this photo incredibly touching.

These two young lovers died and were buried together an estimated 5000 years ago, during the Neolithic period. They were just recently unearthed by archeologists:

ROME, Italy (AP) -- It could be humanity's oldest story of doomed love.

Archaeologists have unearthed two skeletons from the Neolithic period locked in a tender embrace and buried outside Mantua. The site is just 25 miles south of Verona, the romantic city where Shakespeare set the star-crossed tale of "Romeo and Juliet."

Buried between 5,000 and 6,000 years ago, the prehistoric pair are believed to have been a man and a woman and are thought to have died young, as their teeth were found intact, said Elena Menotti, the archaeologist who led the dig.
Further analysis showed that the woman died from an arrow to the chest, while the man died from an arrow to the spine. I can't help but wonder what their story really was - did she die first and he lay down next to her, taking an arrow to the spine? Or was he dying, and she lay down to be with him, dying where she lay? Or did others who loved them both pose them carefully after death?

It's so obvious which was the man and which was the woman. So sad. So incredibly tender.

2 comments:

Sandra Barkevich said...

Ahh, Terri. I see I'm not the only writer who was taken with these two. I also blogged about them this month.

How tragic. Where did you find that additional info? The article I read didn't have any news about how they'd died.

Oh! The story ideas I have bouncing in my head right now...

Sandy :-)
Sandra Barkevich - Romance Author
*February 24, 2007 at Sandra's Goings On - Guest Blogger, Terri Garey - Dead Girls are Easy

Terri Garey said...

Hi, Sandy! This story touched a real chord for me because it reminded me of the very first "romance" I ever read, which was back in grade school. It was a book called "The Faraway Lurs" by Harry Behn. It was actually a children's book, but it told the story of a doomed young couple from Neolithic times, and was actually inspired by the discovery, in 1921, of the grave of a young girl from the Bronze Age. The artifacts they found buried with her, and her young age, inspired the writer to write the book. I never forgot it, and many years later I tracked down an old copy for my keeper shelf. :)