Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Raines

Have you seen the new TV show called "Raines"? It stars Jeff Goldblum as a detective who sees and hears the dead. (Gee, right up my alley, wouldn't you say?) I was so excited when I heard about this series because, quite simply, casting is everything, and casting the quirky yet charming Jeff Goldblum as a guy who talks to the dead was brilliant.

I know he isn't handsome in the traditional sense of the word, but I've had a crush on him for years. That wide-lipped, sensual mouth, those slumberous eyes, that playful sense of humor. Plus, he's tall, lean-hipped and looks fabulous in either a suit or jeans. Every time I see him I wonder if he's as good in bed as he is on the screen, and every time the mental answer comes back, "Oh, yeah." At the very least, I'm sure he's a fascinating conversationalist, and any time spent in his company would keep me on my toes.

Anyway, I've seen both episodes of this new series, and I absolutely LOVE it. The twist *SPOILER HERE* is that even though the people Raines sees are dead (crime victims), they're not actually ghosts, per se. They're hallucinations. Which means they can't help him solve the crimes that killed him, because they only know what he knows. They talk to him, but he's really talking to himself. Of course, in the end, all this talking and getting to know his victims helps him discover who killed them. It's witty and clever and... did I mention it stars Jeff Goldblum? :)

Watch it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the first show and absolutely LOVED it! AT first I thought they were just going to do the same thing that some of the other shows have been doing - but I love the twist they put on it - and you're totally right - casting is EVERYTHING.

I guess that just goes to show how pretty much everything has been done already - it's all up to the writers to give it that little something that makes it unique and fun.

I must have missed the second one, not sure what I was doing. I'll have to remember to watch for it this week.

Terri Garey said...

I should've known you'd love it, too, Tammy! We always see to like the same shows. :)

Wasn't that extra twist at the end about Raines' partner really cool? I didn't see that one coming.