Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Branding: Keeping It Simple Part 2

Okay, if you read Sunday's blog about branding, then you know that my theory on being able to do it successfully is to "Find out who you are, and do it on purpose". I gave an overview on the different elements of branding, and I'm going to get very specific about those elements in Part 3 of this mini-workshop. But today, I'd like to get your brain going in ways that will help you to figure out WHO YOU ARE, and what it is you're trying to express through your writing. Because if you don't know it, how are you going to effectively present it to your prospective readers?

I've put together a list of simple "free thinking" questions. Take your time, and do your best to give each one some thought before you write down your answers. Nobody's going to see it but you, so be honest. When you're done, you should have a better feel for what you want to express through your "brand".

#1: What do you write? (Imagine yourself at a cocktail party, and you’ve just been asked this question. What would you say?)

#2: Who is your target audience? (age range, personality type) Get specific. Who is your “ideal reader”?

#3: What do your want your readers to FEEL when they’re reading one of your books?

#4: Why do you write the kinds of books you write? (Think carefully, and try to be as specific about your reasons as possible.)

#5: Pick three words that describe your writing style.

#6: If they made a movie of your book, what songs do you think they should play in the soundtrack?

#7: How do you envision your book covers?

#8: A reader has just finished reading your book. What words would you like them to use to describe it?

I'd recommend writing down both the questions as well as the answers, and using this as a guidepost as we begin talking about the specific elements of branding: themes, colors, fonts, taglines, etc. Hope you're finding this helpful, and feel free to leave me a comment or two - I'll be happy to answer any questions!

1 comment:

Anna Sugden said...

Loving this workshop on branding - wish I'd been there to listen to it in person!

Have jotted down your questions to think about them. As a former marketing person, I understand branding *grin*. But, applying it to myself and my writing ... hard!

These questions really help me focus on what makes my writing unique. Especially as I think my style is changing.

Thanks Terri - can't wait for part 3!