Wednesday, October 10, 2007

N.E.W. faces, N.E.W. ideas

I had a wonderful experience yesterday, when the Tampa chapter of the Network of Executive Women (N.E.W.) invited me to be the luncheon speaker at their monthly meeting. About fifty women, all executives from different companies here in the Tampa Bay area, get together once a month to network with each other, share a meal and share ideas.

Here I am at the podium, talking about how the skill sets that I learned in business (hard work, goal-setting and networking) are the same skill sets I now use as a writer. How important self-discipline becomes when you work at home instead of at the office. How confidence in yourself can put you on the path to accomplishing your dreams.



The women I was talking to already knew that, of course. That's why they were taking time out of their busy day to come to a networking meeting, and that's why they were already successful in their chosen careers.

I was very impressed with these women; a psychotherapist, a county judge, several lawyers, some financial advisors, CEO of a large construction firm, healthcare managers, event coordinators, consultants. Fifty women ranging in age from their thirties to their sixties, all committed to becoming better at what they do. And all of them so gracious and interesting!

Afterward, I signed books and chatted with many of them one on one. Very diverse group, committed to a common goal of excellence in business. It almost made me wish I worked in an office again. Almost. I'd hate to give up my pajamas. :)

No comments: