Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Helen Rosburg of Medallion Press

"Tattoos, diamonds and jeans."

That's how Helen Rosburg, founder of Medallion Press, describes herself. How do I know? Because I woke up this morning to a front page article in the local paper about this amazing, fascinating woman. It seems Ms. Rosburg is a neighbor of mine, and I didn't even know it. You can read the article here.

There were a lot of things I didn't know about her - including the fact that she's an heiress. Her great-grandfather founded the Wrigley chewing gum company back in 1891. I also didn't know that she owns and shows horses, owning at least 16 absolutely gorgeous beauties (honestly, I looked up some of the pictures on her website, and I'm in love - I don't know which horse is more beautiful *says the horse-crazy girl from rural Florida*). In addition to founding Medallion Publishing, she's an author in her own right, with six published novels under her belt.

What's most impressive to me about Ms. Rosburg is the adversity she's overcome: two bouts with breast cancer, a double mastectomy, heart troubles, a stroke, failed marriages, problems with her kids. Being born with a silver spoon in your mouth doesn't keep troubles from your door, folks. Apparently it doesn't keep you from getting quarter sleeve tattoos on your upper and lower arms, either! :-) Helen says the tattoos represent not only endurance, but are a daily reminder to embrace every moment of her life.

She's an animal lover (to put it mildly!), with a ranch full of various critters: pigs, miniature Brahmin cattle, a miniature donkey, rabbits, hens, a turkey, goats, dogs, birds and eleven cats, besides the show horses.

But what I liked about her the most is that she's her own person. Tattoos, diamonds, jeans and all.

So howdy, Helen, from one of your neighbors! You go, girl! ;-)

No comments: