Saturday, August 30, 2008

Book Trailers

Do you watch them? Do they influence you to buy a book?

When book trailers first came on to the scene a couple of years ago, I thought, “Wow! A video? What a great idea!” There’s no question that when you’re sitting in a movie theatre and those trailers pop up on the big screen, you can tell within 30 seconds whether you want to see a certain movie or not, can’t you? Why not take that concept and bring it to book lovers everywhere?

Well, I’ve had two books published and have yet to do a trailer, but I’m thinkin’ it’s time. What’s held me back? The mind-boggling choices I have to make, of course! Should I go for a sexy vibe? Spooky? Amusing? Serious? Use real actors or computer generated characters? Photos or animations? What kind of music do I want? What do my hero and heroine look like? What are the main points I need to get across? How much should I spend on it? What do I DO with the trailer when I’m done with it?

I know… pathetic, aren’t I? :-D

Here’s another question I don't know the answer to: Are they worth it? Do they really drive sales, or are they just a widget, a gadget, a fun (yet expensive) way of promotion?

I’ve seen a lot of book trailers, and they run the gamut. Here are a few that stood out for me, provided for your enjoyment:

DOES SHE DARE, by Tawny Weber (totally hot, totally sexy)


Why THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE Has No Head, by Diana Holquist (very tongue-in-cheek)


LOVE STARTS WITH ELLE, by Rachel Hauck (interactive cartoon animation)


You see why I'm so intimidated at the thought of doing one for myself?

What do you like in a trailer? Do you think they're worthwhile? Most importantly, if I do one, will you watch it? :-)

No comments: